ALEXANDRIA HIGH SCHOOL
is a public high school located at 353 Stadium Drive in Alexandria, Alabama, USA.
Alexandria High School is one of several schools in the Calhoun County School System. The school includes grades 9 thru 12. The Principal is Mr. Jason Deason and the Assistant Principal is Doug O'Dell.
The mascot of Alexandria High School is the "Valley Cub" and the school colors are orange and black.
The School operates on an 8-period day and offers both career-prep and college-prep courses for students, including AP and Honors Courses.
Electives include Spanish, Environmental Science, Anatomy, Pre-calculus, Agri-Science, World History and others.
The campus also is host to a special education program. Students of grades 7 through 12 from Alexandria have completed and won in math tournaments, including the annual Calhoun County (AL) Schools Math Tournament.
Students at Alexandria have the opportunity to participate with the Calhoun County School System Robotics Team.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES and CLUBS
A variety of student activities are available, including Senior High Scholars Bowl, Student Government Association, Future Farmers of America, FCCLA, Senior Honor Society, Key Club, Project Outreach, FBLA, Men & Women of the Valley, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, State-level choir, a marching band, and a concert band, the "Sound of the Valley".
The Miss Alexandria Pageant is an annual affair at the school as well as the Junior/Senior Prom.
Alexandria students have operated student-produced annual yearbook called "The Alexandrian".
- The on-campus football stadium is called Lou Scales Stadium and it contains Larry Ginn Field.
- The auditorium/gymnasium is the Brenard Howard Gymnasium
- The new gymnasium is called Larry Ginn Gymnasium
- The library is the Evelyn Broome Library
- The high school baseball field is near the football stadium
- The band room is located in the new addition of the school
- The agricultural workshop is located in the northern wing of the school
The school offers the following athletic programs: Varsity Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Golf, Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Track and Field, Swimming and Cross-County. Alexandria also has Cheerleading and a Marching Band. The Alabama High School Athletic Association assigned Alexandria to Class 3A (out of 4 classications) until 1985, then Class 4A (out of 6 classiciations) until 2013, and then Class 5A (out of 7 classications) starting in 2014.
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS OF CLASS 4-A IN ALABAMA:
- 1985 Football
- 1992 Basketball-Boys
- 1993 Basketball-Boys
- 1993 Volleyball-Girls
- 1994 Volleyball-Girls
- 1995 Volleyball-Girls
- 1995 Football
- 1997 Football
- 1997 Basketball-Boys
- 2004 Softball-Girls-Fast Pitch
- 2008 Golf-Girls
- 2014 Softball-Girls-Fast Pitch
"A.H.S.", our Alma Mater, we'll be true to thee.
From the Juniors to the Seniors, filled with Loyalty.
Through the years that pass away, we'll always stand by Thee.
Alma Mater, Alma Mater, we'll remember Thee.
"A.H.S.", our Alma Mater, through the years that come
We will pledge Thee our Devotion, each and everyone.
We will march beneath Thy Banner, triumphantly!
Alma Mater, Alma Mater, we'll be true to Thee.
- Dr. Aric D. Butler, DC (class of 1990): owner of Lexington Family Chiropractic Clink and Doc's Gym in Lexington, Alabama.
- Demetrius "Mac" Campbell (class of 1998): Mr. Football Alabama winnder for 1997
- Curtis Cupp (class of 1985): cyclist, organizer of cycling competitions, Board Member of the North East Alabama Bicycle Association, President of the Alabama Cycling Assocation
- Coach Larry Randall Ginn (class of 1968): American football Coach, and Basketball Coach. 2005 Inductee into the Alabama High School Athletic Asociation Hall of Fame. Calhoun County Hall of Fame. Alabama Coach of the Year by the Alabama Sports Writers in 1995. Graduated as a student-athlete from Jacksonville State University.
- Coach Todd Ginn (class of 1997): Head Basketball Coach for Gadsden State Community College
- T. J. Heath (Lee Anthony Heath Jr.), (class of 2006): NFL American football defensive back who played for Jacksonville State from 2007 to 2010 and the NFL since 2011 (Jaguars, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Dolphins)
- Judge Brian Paul Howell (class of 1985): Presiding Judge of 7th Judicial Circiut Court for Calhoun County and Cleburne County in Alabama.
- Dr. Andre Ronald Nunn (class of 1981): clinical assistant professor of surgery, board-certified through the American Board of Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of surgeons (F.A.C.S.) in 1998. President and CEO of Detroit Bariatric Specialists, PC. Honors include the Wayne State Department of Surgery Theodore McGraw Clinical Faculty Teaching Award in 2001. He was also awarded as one of Hour Magazines, Top Doctor's in Detroit in 2003.
- Dr. Gregory Robinson (class of 1976): Franklin Professor of Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Georgia. Researcher and publisher in the field of Crystallagraphy and Organometallic Chemistry. Former stand-out athlete as a quarterback in football for Alexandria High School and Jacksonville State University
- Robert Darryl Smith (class of 1984): Sports Broadcaster on WEAC-TV and WHMA FM Radio, "Voice of the Valley Cubs", Entrepreneur and Owner/CEO of a retail business in personalized items and trophies.
- Jody Whaley (class of 1984): Principal of Saks High School, Anniston, Alabama.