The MISSION of the EXCEL Virtual Academy is to provide a high-quality online education with flexible and individualized learning opportunities.
The BELIEFS of EXCEL Virtual Academy:
- Students should be at the center of every decision made.
- Inspire academic virtual excellence in learning so all students will be college and career ready.
- Courses will be engaging and interactive with rigorous standards-based content as well as blended learning opportunities to meet the diverse educational needs of students.
The GOALS of EXCEL Virtual Academy:
- Focus on the individual success of each student and tailor courses/instruction to students' educational needs.
- Provide flexibility so learning can be individualized and differentiated.
- To remove barriers that impede learning.
EXCEL is a free public accredited education with the flexibility to learn anywhere, anytime. EXCEL is planned to provide students and parents options to a personalized education plan that can be tailored to their interests and to expand learning opportunities beyond the traditional classroom setting.
EXCEL will offer a standards-based curriculum taught by certified teachers. Virtual programs allow students to learn exclusively from home, essentially on their own. In addition, virtual programs offer "blended learning," which combines online learning with face-to-face instruction.
- Enrollment will be open for students residing within the Calhoun County School District in grades K -12.
- Students enrolled in EXCEL will have access to participate in band, athletics, and Calhoun County Career Academy.
- Students will also have opportunities for field trips as well as regularly held Ed-Tech camps.
- Students will have access to certified educators, as needed, for assistance.
Q & A
The time is takes to complete a virtual course varies depending on the course schedule your child selects. If a student is taking 6 courses, then the student should be working approximately 6 hours per day with a minimum of 30 hours a week.
Students must take all state mandated assessments and the location will be determined based on assessments.
Virtual students are allowed to participate in band, athletics and other extracurricular activities for the school in which the student is zoned and must meet the requirements of the school.
Virtual students will have the opportunity to attend and participate in career technical courses on campus at the Calhoun County Career Academy.
You may complete coursework daily any time and in any place. However, students will report to the virtual school for requested tutoring, mid-term and final exams. In some cases, students will be required to report to the virtual school for inadequate progress and progress monitoring.
The teacher or director will communicate with students and parents/guardians regarding progress. Parents/guardians will also be able to monitor their childs progress.
If a student is not passing course requirements to complete the required assignments he/she will be transitioned back to their home school. Also, if the parent/guardian and student feel that the virtual school is not the right option, he/she may withdraw and return to the home school.
Students must earn 6 credits each school year. It is strongly recommended that students follow the plan provided in the learning management system to prevent work overload at the end of the term. The virtual school will follow Calhoun County Schools calendar for course completion and grade reporting.